ADULT AND TEEN MATTRESS CARE GUIDE
What is my mattress made of?
Your Naturalmat mattress is made with a combination of the finest natural and organic fillings,encased in our locally sourced organic lambswool and covered in a 100% natural herringbone cotton cover. The cotton covers are treated with a natural anti bed bug treatment (a natural geraniol finish) for extra protection. Each mattress has a permanently sewn tape edge, and is tufted by hand to the highest quality.
Our mattresses meet all the British and European safety standard (BS EN597, BS 7177) providing you with a safe sleeping environment.
How do I care for my adult / teen mattress?
1. Turn, wait, rotate. After three months, turn (or flip) your mattress over, so the underneath is on top. Wait another three months then rotate the mattress clockwise 180°. Continue to alternate turning and rotating every three months to help maintain its original shape.
2. Let your mattress breath. Allow the mattress to air as often as possible. When you turn or rotate your mattress, remove the bedding for a good hour and fling open your windows to increase air circulation. It’s also good practice to air your duvets and pillows.
3. Keep your mattress in a clean environment. Don’t forget to clean the areas near your mattress including under the bed, the carpet, curtains and any rugs. You should also vacuum your bed base and headboard regularly to keep dust and dirt at bay.
4. Replace the mattress cover. If you have an accident and mark/stain the cover, don’t panic! Simply return the mattress and we can easily remove the cotton cover and replace it with a brand new one. Please consult us for costs on this service.
5. Use a mattress protector. The most effective way to protect your mattress is to use a mattress protector. These are readily available on the high street, or you can buy a beautiful Naturalmat one filled with breathable pure wool filling.
6. Replace your mattress every seven years. The Sleep Council recommends changing your mattress every seven years, however all good things need not come to an end! Every component in a Naturalmat mattress is re-cyclable and/or biodegradable and we are developing a unique up-cycling & replacement program for our beds. Please contact us for more details when the time comes.
BABY AND CHILD MATTRESS CARE GUIDE
What is my mattress made of?
Your Naturalmat mattress is made with a combination of the finest natural and organic fillings,encased in our locally sourced organic lambswool and covered in a 100% natural cotton cover. The cotton covers are chemical free, non-toxic and naturally fire retardant. Each mattress is made by hand in Devon to the highest quality.
Our mattresses meet all the British and European safety standard (BS7177, BS 1877 Part 10, BS 71-3 & BS 5852) providing your child with a safe sleeping environment.
How do I care for my baby / child mattress?
1. Turn. After three months, turn (or flip) your mattress over, so the underneath is on top, except for the Spring Mat which has a firmer side for newborns and springier side for toddlers.
2. Use a mattress protector. The easiest way to protect your mattress is with one of our organic waterproof mattress protectors. Made from soft organic brushed cotton surrounding a breathable waterproof membrane, this will help keep the mattress dry and healthy.
3. Removing the cover. Mattresses smaller than cot size (moses basket, pushchair, cribs) have one cover which can be removed by unzipping. Note there is no inner cover so you will see the natural fibres if you remove the cover. Cot and Cotbed mattresses have an inner and outer cover, only the outer cover is designed to be removed and washed. Carefully unzip and remove the cover if you need to wash it.
4. Washing the cover. The removable cover can be machine washed at 60°C (dust mites are killed at 57°C). Allow the cover to dry naturally - do not tumble dry. Ensure the cover is completely dry before zipping it back on the mattress. You can also sponge clean the cover with mild detergent and allow to air dry.
5. Refitting the cover. The covers are designed to fit the mattress tightly so follow these tips to reattach the cover after washing. Ensure the cover is completely dry. Put one end of the mattress snugly into one end of the cover. Bend the mattress so you can put the opposite end into the other end of the cover. Carefully close the zip, pushing the material together. Take care not to put too much pressure on the zip when closing.
6. Let it breath. Air your mattress regularly. For example when the bedding is in the wash, open the window to air the mattress for an hour once a week.
How do I care for my Travelmat?
Your travelmat should be dry cleaned only.